Ulster to Launch Beer Celebrating Local Heroes Who Fought Against Franco

Beastrabban /   April 19, 2016 at 3:45 PM 236 views

Here’s a bit of good news from the Northern Irish paper, The Sunday World, via the anti-racist, anti-religious extremism site, Hope Not Hate. A new beer is going to be launched in the UK in the next few months to celebrate the heroes of the International Brigades who fought against General Franco during the Spanish Civil War. The booze naturally has the name, Brigadista, and apparently is the brainchild of Matthew Collins, who was in the National Front and BNP before turning informer. The article notes that 320 volunteers from Ireland fought against the Fascists in Spain. 48 of these brave men came from Belfast, and were drawn from both the Shankill Road and the Falls area.

The article begins:

A NEW beer to be launched dedicated to the memory of those who fought against fascism in the Spanish Civil War is hoping to be sold in Ulster pubs.

Brigadista Ale is currently being brewed and is launching across the UK over the next couple of months.

Profits from the beer will go into keeping the memory alive of those who fought and died in what many believe has become a forgotten war.

Working-class people from both communities in Northern Ireland travelled to Spain to join what became known as the International Brigade to fight rightwing dictator General Francisco Franco between 1936-39.

The beer is the brainchild of Hope Not Hate’s Matthew Collins, a former National Front member who now campaigns against the far-right in the UK.
“People from both the Shankill and the Falls went to Spain to take on the forces of fascism,” says Collins.

I’ve mixed feelings about booze. I gave up drinking myself years ago after one night too many, and am acutely aware of the immense damage it can do to people’s health. But it’s great that the memory of the courageous people, who fought and died in the hope that they would keep Spain and Europe free, is being kept alive and that this unites people from across the political/sectarian divide.

Go and read the full article at: http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/news/home/article/3882/cheers-to-spanish-civil-war-heroes

Spain itself is going through a painful period of rediscovering the suppressed history and legacy of the Franco’s tyranny and the Spanish Civil War. I went to an archaeological seminar by a Spanish archaeologist a few years ago, who described how there are, or were, a number of archaeological digs excavating the mass graves of those massacred by Franco’s forces. It’s intensely controversial, as there are many in Spain, particularly on the Right, who would like to forget the butchery, torture and repression of the dictator’s forty-year rule. Also controversial is the grandiose mausoleum and war monument the squeaky-voiced little Nazi put up to his fallen comrades. Franco claimed it was to the memory of all who fell in the Civil War, but in practice all the statuary and monuments are about him and his stormtroopers.

Beer and alcohol aren’t to everyone’s taste, but it’s undoubtedly better for the volunteer fighters of the International Brigades to be celebrated, than Franco’s thugs. And for those, who don’t drink, the article also mentions that last November Lord Mayor Carson unveiled a stained glass window to the memories of Ulster’s fallen in Spain in the town’s city hall.

9 thoughts on “Ulster to Launch Beer Celebrating Local Heroes Who Fought Against Franco”

1. Winston says:

Undeniably consider that that you said. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the net the simplest factor to take note of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed at the same time as other folks think about worries that they just don’t realize about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , other folks could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thank you

2. Collin says:

I do love the way you have framed this matter and it really does offer me personally a lot of fodder for consideration. However, because of everything that I have seen, I simply just wish when the actual feedback stack on that people today keep on point and don’t embark on a soap box involving the news du jour. Yet, thank you for this excellent piece and although I do not concur with this in totality, I respect the standpoint.

3. Quinn says:

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the images on this blog loading? I’m trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog. Any feed-back would be greatly appreciated.

4. cheap golf clothing says:

Can I simply say what a aid to find someone who really is aware of what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know the best way to bring a difficulty to gentle and make it important. More people have to read this and perceive this facet of the story. I cant imagine youre no more popular since you definitely have the gift.

5. forever living 9 day cleanse says:

Thank you for another fantastic post. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.

6. Marvella says:

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any suggestions?

7. Lavonna says:

hello!,I really like your writing so much! proportion we communicate more about your post on AOL? I require an expert in this area to solve my problem. Maybe that’s you! Looking forward to peer you.

8. Charley says:

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this increase.

9. Jacinto says:

Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing many months of hard work due to no data backup. Do you have any solutions to protect against hackers?

Please comment with your real name using good manners.